Monday 17 August 2009

Pushing water uphill - why we lose good Councillors

Ran into Phil Thornton, ex-Labour Councillor for Shipley East. After the normal greetings the conversation went something like this:

"Do you miss it?"

"Was gutted for a few days after I lost but no - discovered there's a real world out there...pointless being a Councillor"

"Pushing water uphill?"

"Yes, waste of time."

Now I don't know about others but I find it sad that someone with Phil's talent sees no point in trying to come back as a councillor. That what we do is a waste of time. But I do understand why he feels that way about it. And our Parties have it in them to make the changes that will keep folk like Phil - and doubtless many others - involved and active.

1. Stop rewarding bullies - sorry "strong, assertive, forceful leaders"

2. Put an end to obsessive whipping on local councils - these aren't matters of principle

3. Say thank you to people who serve the Party well for a long time

4. Promote independence of thought not slavish adherence to the Leader's line

...and after all this, agree that we elect people to make decisions not to perform some fictitious "community leadership" function.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new (Conservative) Councillor I already agree with what you are saying. I am hoping my opinion on this changes as I settle into the role, but I feel it will be a battle of wills in the end!

Mike CJ said...

Totally agree with you Simon. As a non-politician, who doesn't even live in UK any more, I'm deeply frustrated with the "toe the party line" style of politics over there.

One of the problems is that the talented independent thinkers who become great decision makers, go into business or become entrepreneurs. Somehow we've got to find a way to entice some of these talented people into politics.