Tuesday 20 April 2010

On ranting...


Ranting is important, not to be scoffed at and contributes to the betterment of society. People should rant more. And here - from William Lloyd Garrison in 1831 - is why:
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation. No! No! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; - but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest - I will not equivocate - I will not excuse - I will not retreat a single inch - AND I WILL BE HEARD!"*
Garrison's cause was anti-slavery but these words could apply to any of the other causes of liberty.
*Quote is in David Reynolds' wonderful short history of America; "America, Empire of Liberty"
....

No comments: