Friday 22 October 2010

Friday Fungus: Dark mushrooms....


I have this recipe requiring "dark mushrooms". At first I thought this was a reference to black mushrooms - lovely chaps that crop up in Chinese cooking (although even I'm not rushing to make Sea Cucumbers Braised with Steamed Black Mushrooms). But it appears not - these are those big old Agaricus bisporus, the ones we used to get at the greengrocer before the world was taken over by shiny white buttons.
It may be that in my personal fantasy world "dark mushrooms" are mysterious, magical things found only in the deepest glades of the more enchanted of woods. But in the world of the Dark Mushroom and Tarragon Tart, they're just plain old mushrooms.
For the record, I haven't the faintest idea what kind of mushroom is in the picture above - it was growing out of the tree at the end of the drive (although I reckon the badgers have eaten it now).
....

No comments: