Sunday 13 February 2011

In which I find myself agreeing with Nick Clegg (except I don't believe him)

****

In an interview with Henry Porter at The Observer, Nick Clegg - professional euro-crat turned Deputy Prime Minister said something I agree with:

"I need to say this – you shouldn't trust any government, actually including this one. You should not trust government – full stop. The natural inclination of government is to hoard power and information; to accrue power to itself in the name of the public good."

Absolutely Mr Clegg, my sentiments entirely. So why is your "Protection of Freedoms Bill" so selective in the freedoms it wants to protect? And why don't I believe you when you make such an agreeable statement?

Is it because I watched your party colleagues calling for intrusive and draconian extensions to police power under the licensing act? Plus of course the Liberal Democrats illiberal and undemocratic support for minimum alcohol pricing! And should I mention the smoking ban - introduced on the back of bad science - that has further harmed our struggling pubs.

And why not restrictions on speed cameras, voyeuristic (and pretty useless) CCTV and the hounding of innocent motorists on the back of ANPR? Where is the removal of rights of entry to private property for public officials and the reform of family courts to stop the police seizing the children of innocents?

I could go on, Nick. I know you mean well. But these "Protection of Freedoms" come while your government extends restrictions and while your old pals in Brussels drift slowly towards a secret, unaccountable, almost fascistic superstate.

So Nick, I don't believe you.

....

No comments: