Tuesday 24 November 2009

Be a social organisation? Fetch the axe, prepare to repel boarders!

***

There are times with the tic beside the eye sets in, the mists fall and you head to get the axe from the shed.

This is one...my good friend Julian Dobson charmed me into this link: "A Manifesto for the Social Organisation".

So what does it say?

"The music that surrounds us is becoming ever more rich, complex, and dissonant, as climate, ecological, economic, organizational, legislative, technological, and demographic change add their intertwining melodies to the song. We need to be more organizationally agile than ever before to stay in the dance."

Excuse me what in heaven's name is this all about? So far not a good start...but there's more it talks of "...theory-u, world cafe, holacracy, collaborative networked organizations..." Oh my God they're speaking foreign - Californian foreign! (Stops for breath at the sheer indulgence of nonsense that this implies). We now get...

"A shift from the I to the we, into thinking like a swarm."
(I do recommend Neal Stevenson's "The Cryptonomicon" to this folk - it will put them off the hive mind rubbish I hope)

"Leverage the wisdom of your tribe."
(help me please, help me - where to they get this stuff from?)

"Because authentic relationships are built upon care, not upon control."
(what is more controlling than a hive - a collective entity serving a collective entity? And authentic relationships work on mutual benefit not care or control or fairy dust)

"Information doesn’t just want to be free, it wants to breed and mutate."
(excuse me? Information doesn't want anything - anthropomorphic treatment of rabbits is OK for kids but to do it for a bundle of data is...is...well, stupid)

It is hard to comprehend the depth of ignorance - about hives, about social capital, about incentive...about most of what we know about the dynamics of society. But these guys have managed it - and to think that The Idea Hive who spawned such la-la land thinking:

"...offers research, consulting and facilitation services to businesses and organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond."

If this is the future God help you all. I'll be in my shed, with my axe.

...

1 comment:

juliandobson said...

Fair cop on the language (though in my defence, you've never seen me write like that!). Translated into English, it's about collaboration rather than command and control. And I think that's something local government often fails to understand.