Changes to VAT law and the way in which our services are regulated have affected the VAT status of a number of our products. A limited range of our services became subject to VAT through 2011, and this will extend to all bulk mail services from April 2012.
- Local government – all those Council Tax bills and other official bulk communications such as electoral registration forms
- Utilities – water, gas, electricity are all subject to a lower VAT rate or exempt
- Financial services – no VAT is charged on banking, insurance or related services (now there’s a blessing)
- Charities – direct mail is a central tool for charities to raise funds and keep their supporters informed
- Publishing – magazines, journals and so forth again carry no VAT