Tuesday 10 September 2013

I'd have got away with it, if it hadn't been for the newspapers!

****

This is the message from Chris Huhne albeit one wrapped up in a coating of self-righteous excuse-making:

The News of the World sparked the end of my marriage, but another Murdoch title, the Sunday Times, then groomed my ex-wife until she told them about the speeding points.

Got this folks. If Chris hadn't said something mildly critical of Rupert Murdoch he'd have got away with lying about speeding points while cheating on his wife (as he presented himself to voters as a proud 'family man'). The saddest thing is that a few people (mostly at the ever more egregious Guardian) will be taken in by this cant. I'm sorry folks but Chris Huhne's career ended because he cheated on his wife and lied about speeding. All the newspapers did was uncover these facts.

I'm a politician, I've had some challenging press coverage. But I consider that the press have every right to report this stuff. If we fall from grace, it's usually our fault. And almost never the fault of the press.

....


No comments: